Dogs tend to spend hours each day alone and left to their own devices. This can sometimes lead to social and behavioral problems. These enrichment ideas can help reduce boredom when a dog is left alone.
- Toys and More Toys – Toys should be rotated regularly, this will help keep your puppy interested and will help to prevent boredom.
- Ice blocks – these are perfect for hot days! Place some suitable scraps or treats into a ice-cream container or kong, fill with waters and freeze. Even freeze a knotted rope into it so it could be hung somewhere.
- A Digging Pit/Sand Pit – Some dogs love to dig, so why not have a area so he/she can reinforce this natural behaviour, and not dig up the garden!
- A Wading Pool – If your dog loves water, encourage your dog to spend time wading in the backyard. Children’s clam shells or shallow molded plastic pools can be purchased cheaply.
- Kongs – there are many types of Kong toys which can be stuffed with food and left for the dogs to work on during the day
- Treasure Hunts – Instead of giving your dog their food in the boring bowl throw it all over the backyard. This will keep your dog busy and will encourage them to use their nose. This is also a great way to slow down eating!
- Trick Training – This is a great way to spend time with your dog. Trick training can be a lot of fun for both the owner and the dog.
- Scent Trails – Does your dog spend most of their time with their nose on the ground? Why not make scent trails through the backyard, and even leave a treat reward at the end.
- TV and Radio on timer – some dogs prefer noise coming from the house. Pop the TV or radio on timer throughout the day.
For more information on Enrichment and what it best suited for your dog Call us on 5572 1278 today or pop into the clinic for a chat!